Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Southwest Crispy Chicken Sliders

Tonight for dinner we made a recipe out of my July 2012 Cooking Light magazine. My mom got me a subscription :). We used to make things from the magazine when I lived in Ohio (where I'm originally from). I really like Cooking Light because the food is pretty healthy and very creative! However, some of the ingredients are hard to find herbs and spices that our grocery stores out here don't usually carry..So I improvise! Here is what I did:


For the muffins:
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal 
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 salt
3/4 fat-free buttermilk
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped 


Combine flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk, butter, and the egg. Add the buttermilk mixture to the cornmeal mixture until just combined. Then add the cheese and jalapeno to the batter. Bake at 350 for 17-20 minutes until golden brown. Cut muffins in half when cooled. 


For the chicken:
2/3 cup panko (or any kind of breading you prefer...I made my own with crackers and cornmeal)
1/4 cup skim milk
1 egg
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut them in half through the center, length-wise, to make them thinner, and then cut them in half width-wise)
2 tbsp canola oil, divided


In a shallow bowl add panko or breadcrumbs. In another shallow bowl add milk and egg and whisk together. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil. Dip chicken into egg mixture then into breadcrumbs. Add chicken to skillet and cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until done. Repeat this with remaining chicken and oil. 





*This recipe also included a guacamole recipe to use as a condiment. I made a chipotle ranch mixture instead! But you could honestly use whatever you like. Add lettuce, tomato, or onion if you want. 





No comments:

Post a Comment